Describe how the chapter you just read (chapter 4) furthers the plot of The Pearl. How do the events of the chapter affect the character's problem or conflict? Do they bring it closer to resolution, or do they make it worse? Explain.
Please read the comments that have already been posted and respond. Answer their posts, so to speak. Create collaborative dialogue! This will make us better readers!
I think that the pearl buyers were trying to cheat Kino and I don't think he did the wrong thing. I just don't think he should have said that he was going to go to the capital because now that means he has to. The journey to the the capital seams very dangerous and very far away and what if it is going to be the same there where they are trying to cheat Kino and then the journey would have been for nothing.
ReplyDeleteI think that the events in this chapter made the conflict worse. I think this because he defied not just the pearl buyers, but the whole structure, the whole way of life. The pearl buyers tryed to cheat Kino so he is going to go to the capital to sell his pearl but if the capital gives him the same offer his trip would have been for nothing.
ReplyDeleteThe pearl buyers wanted Kino to think that he was getting a good price and wanted him to think he was wrong in not selling it to them. But when Kino decided to go to the capital, he was gambling on getting more. I think that it is resolving the problem more than making it worse because he was getting gyped, but hopefully they'll be more honest at the capital.
ReplyDeleteGreat insights, guys! So, in reference to the question-is Steinbeck leading us toward a resolution of the conflict? Or, has the conflict become even worse here at the end of Chapter 4. If it has gotten worse, support your claim with evidence from the text! Keep it up-can't wait to see what everyone else's thoughts are.
ReplyDeleteThis chapter furthers the plot because now we see that Kino's personality changes. Kino realizes that the pearl buyers offers were not fair, however he gets a sense of greed and wants to go to the capital for more. I think Juan Tomas and Juana see this but Kino doesn't. I think he wants the most amount of money to provide Coyotito and Juana (as well as himself) with the best.
ReplyDeleteI agree with all of you guys
ReplyDelete